The dangers of Steroid Use
Steroids can be prescribed but not all of them are prescribed by a licensed physician. When steroid use is not directed by a doctor it can be really dangerous. This is because steroids are very powerful hormones that can causes extreme changes in a person’s body. This is how steroid use can cause a various amount of health problems some of which that can last for a lifetime. Here are some of the most common dangers of steroid use. These are not all the dangers of steroid use, only some. The list is actually much longer than this.
- Stunted growth – One of the biggest dangers of steroid use is that it can cause a fusion of the growth plates within the bones. Steroid use can also quicken the aging of the bones. When bones fuse together that means growth in the bones is finished so steroid use can literally result in growth deceleration or the stoppage of growth all together.
- Increased risk of HIV and Hepatitis – This is one of the less known dangers of steroid use that people come across. Because steroid users often do not have access to the amount of clean and sterile needles needed to satisfy their habit, or they don’t follow injection direction, there is an increased risk of contracting HIV or other blood pathogens due to sharing needles etc.
- Elevated blood pressure – For some people the dangers of steroid use can be fatal especially in the case of elevated blood pressure. Due to the steroid’s ability to raise red blood cell count and Hematocrit levels, steroids can cause blood pressure to rise significantly.
- Growth in the left ventricle of the heart – The left ventricle of the heart is one of the main heart valves that pumps blood throughout a person’s body and when it enlarges it can cause serious health problems. So we can see this is one of the big dangers of steroid use.
- Increased aggression -This is a more common danger of steroid use also known as “Roid Rage”. There is evidence that steroid use can cause aggressive behavior in some users.
- Hypogandism or shrinking of the testicles – Because steroids are full of testosterone, the body’s own testosterone is no longer needed so the body halts its production of its own testosterone. The danger of steroid use? Shrinking testicles.
- Infertility – This can be a lifelong danger of steroid use. Some steroid use can cause reduction in sperm count, result in a decreased ability to reproduce or in other words, have children.
- Heart attack – This is a serious danger of steroid use. Steroid users will come across multiple heart related complications among which are an increased risk of heart attacks and even the possibility of coronary disease and as we have already mentioned growth in the ventricle of the heart.
- Menstrual problems – Yes, women use steroids too and the same dangers of steroid use apply to them. Female steroid users may experience irregularities in their cycle, a total absence of menstruation and further problems which can lessen their reproductive ability.
- Sexual dysfunction – Some steroid use can cause a loss in libido and sexual impotence
- Liver toxicity – The dangers of steroid use when taken orally have shown to increase the amount a liver has to work to clean a person’s blood and also to cause liver toxicity.
- Addiction – Some people don’t see this as one of the many dangers of steroid use, but it is. Physical addiction to steroids is unlikely but the potential for psychological addiction is very high.
What is the biggest of all the dangers of steroid use? Death. This one doesn’t need to be explained. Death can be caused by steroid use just from the multiple other dangers listed.
Steroid use should always be overseen by a medical professional. All of the dangers of steroid use should tell you why. When steroids are used without medical advice it can lead to multiple problems for the steroid user.